Remember: Before being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes there is a period where blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough to be diagnosed as Diabetes. It is also known as Prediabetes.
There is a possibility that Prediabetes can be stopped before turning in diabetes. Facts show that only 70% of people with Prediabetes develop Type 2 diabetes. Genes, past behaviours, and age can unfortunately not change your status.
Here is a list of factors on how to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes:
- Cut on refines carbs and sugar. Avoid white sugar and rice, they contain a high glycaemic index.
- Work out regularly. Insulin resistance goes down when you exercise. It also helps to avoid long-term complications in diabetes.
- Consume water as your main beverage to stay hydrated. It does not raise your blood sugar levels. It helps eliminate excess glucose in your body through urine.
- Lose weight if you consider yourself to be overweight or obese. Insufficient insulin prevents the body to transfer glucose and ultimately leads to gaining unnecessary weight.
- Refrain from smoking. Smoking can increase your chances by 30-40 present to get diabetes.
- Follow a low-carb diet plan. It helps control blood sugar levels.
- Implement portion control. It helps to sustain weight-loss and reduce calories.
- Do not be ‘lazy.’ Being lazy only stores more energy and sugar in your blood, which contributes to Diabetes.
- Follow a high fibre diet. It helps to slow the absorption of sugar and helps improve blood sugar levels.
- Consume a lot of vitamin D. It helps improve the body’s sensitivity to insulin, thus reduces insulin resistance.
- Avoid processed foods. It contains a lot of sugar, salt and preservatives.
- Consume natural herbs. It helps reduce the risk of getting Diabetes.
- Choose foods with a low glycaemic index. It reduces the blood sugar levels in your body.
- Control stress levels. Too much stress can increase your blood glucose levels.
- Get enough sleep. It helps to prevent insulin resistance.
- Consume apple cider vinegar. Two tablespoons before bedtime help reduce the blood sugar levels.
- Consume a lot of Cinnamon. It helps prevent insulin resistance.
When I work, a lot of times I must lose weight, and I do that, but in my regular life I was not eating right, and I was not getting enough exercise. But by the nature of my diet and that lifestyle – Boom! The result was high blood sugars that reach the levels where it becomes Type 2 diabetes. I share that with a gazillion other people. – Tom Hanks